Spring is here, and my favorite fruit is strawberries. Make a day of it and have fun picking these beautiful berries at the Strawberry Fields in Carlsbad, CA. As tempting as it may be to eat them all on your way home, be sure you save some for this Strawberry Crumble recipe that’s easy to make and delicious too!
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cube cold butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, sugars and butter. Mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Spread half the mixture in a 8 or 9-inch square baking dish.
- Add the strawberries.
- Top with remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
©Recipe and photo by cookbook author Maria Desiderata Montana